Planing the festive season menu just got easier! These are low-waste recipes which can be prepared in 30 minutes or less, be frozen, and stored in the fridge for left overs!
Affordable, Nutritional, Delicious Family Favourites!
Lots of the dry ingredients are staples at bulk bin stores! Simply take your own containers/jars and fill them up = waste free food shopping! Check out our Bulk Food Shopping Guide for step-by-step instructions.
- S W E E T -
SPICED NUT MYLK | CHRISTMAS PUDDING BLISS BALLS
- S A V O U R Y -
FESTIVE SALAD | SAVOURY NUT BREAD
*All recipes are Gluten Free, Vegan and Refined Sugar Free
SPICED NUT MYLK
- 1 x Cup of Natural, Raw Almonds - 200g
- 4 Cups of Filtered Water *Nutritional Tips
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 2 x Dates (optional for sweeter)
- Drop of Vanilla Essence, a pinch of any spice - cinnamon, cardamon (optional)
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Allspice
- 1tsp Cardamon
- Half tsp Nutmeg
- Soak almonds overnight or for at least 8 plus hours and then rinse thoroughly twice**. Blend water and almonds in a blender on high for approximately 2 minutes. Strain through Nut Mylk Bag (a handkerchief/muslin cloth also works if you already have one). Pour mylk into airtight bottles and refrigerate. Use within 3-5 days.
- Tip! Dry out the pulp, blend again, and use as almond flour for Christmas Pudding Bliss Balls (below) and raw baking.
CHRISTMAS PUDDING BLISS BALLS
- 1 Cup of Nuts and Seeds* - e.g. Almonds, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds. TIP! Dry out the pulp from making your Nut Mylk and replace with 1 cup of nut “flour”
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Desiccated
- 1/2 Cup Dates
- 1/2 Cup Cranberries, plus extra for decorating
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 3-5 Tbs Cacao - Hello Superfood!*
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ginger (ground or fresh)
- 1 tsp Cardamon
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Tbs Orange Zest
- 2 Tsp Coconut Oil (melted)
- 2 Tbs Desiccated coconut for garnish
- Optional Water*
- Soak dates, cover with boiling water. After 2 minutes drain water off and set dates aside.
- Add all ingredients into blender/food processor except the garnishing coconut and water. Blend until all ingredients are combined, add water as needed if mixture is dry. Mixture should have formed clumps and be sticky enough to roll into balls. Add more coconut if mixture is too wet.
- Roll mixture into small balls, roll in desiccated coconut and press in some cranberries on top. Store in airtight container for up to 4 days, or pop in freezer to make them last longer!
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds* - approx. 1-2 pomegranates
- 1/2 cup of seeds/nuts - pumpkin, sunflower and chopped almonds work well!
- 1/4 cup honey glazed walnuts*
- 3 cups spinach or rocket*
- 1 cup roasted vegetables - Kumara, eggplant, beetroot works well.
- Drizzle of Balsamic - vinegar or glaze. Red wine balsamic or cranberry vinaigrette works well.
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
On a low heat, add chopped walnuts and 1 tablespoon of honey, remove before bubbling. Lightly roast seeds/nuts in a pan until they go golden. In a large bowl add all ingredients and drizzle with balsamic and olive oil and add a few extra pomegranate seeds on top for festive decoration.
NUT LOAF - VEGAN MEAT LOAF
Recipe from Vegan Richa
- 1 1/4 cups (180 g) nuts - almonds or walnuts work well
- 1/4 cup (33.5 g) sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 large cup cubed pumpkin
- 2 tsp Italian herbs (1/2 tsp each thyme, ground sage, rosemary, oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp extra mixed sage and thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp tamari ( or use a combination of balsamic vinegar and coconut aminos for soyfree)
- 2 flax eggs (mix 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 5 tbsp water)
- 2/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (or coarsely ground oats)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1.5 tbsp tamari , or use 1/4 tsp salt + 1 tbsp broth for soyfree
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sriracha , optional
- Toast the raw cashews and sunflower seeds in the oven at 160 C for 5 mins. Or toast on a skillet over medium heat until golden. Add the cashews and sunflower seeds to a food processor with the rest of the nuts and pulse to a somewhat coarse meal with a few chopped size pieces visible.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil or broth. Add onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 2 mins. Then add mushrooms and a pinch of salt and cook until some golden edges. 3-4 mins. Add pumpkin and mix in. Add a splash of water, cover and cook until the pumpkin is tender. Mash and transfer to a bowl. Add in the spices, salt and mix in. Add the chopped nuts and seeds, soy sauce, flax egg mix, breadcrumbs and mix well. Taste and adjust salt, herbs and flavour. You want it to be just slightly sticky.
- If you like sweeter, profile, add a tbsp of tomato paste or some chopped dried fruit such as dried cranberries or apricots.
- Transfer to a parchment lined bread pan. Lightly press to shape and even it out. Do not pack too much. Bake for 25 to 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, mix everything under the glaze. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Take the loaf out of the oven. Spread the glaze over the loaf and then bake again for 20 to 30 mins. Let cool for 15 mins before removing from the pan. Then cool completely before slicing.
Nutritional Tips from Jade
- *Hemp/Nuts/Sunflower Seeds/Chia Seeds - High in omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins, fibre, and minerals, protein, - All needed for decreasing inflammation, increasing energy and brain health, hormone synthesis and more!
- Refined Sugar Free - Refined sugars spike blood sugar levels, thus helping energy, skin, gut, mood, and liver detoxification.
- *Activated Nuts to increase nutrient absorption of seeds, grains, nuts, soaking is recommended. This removes the Phytic Acid, what is called an anti-nutrient. This is designed to protect the nut or grain in nature. This process ensures our bodies can absorb the nutrients or 'goodies' the food has to offer.
- *Filtered Water makes better mylk and a good filter is worth the health investment if you are on town supply. Chlorine and fluoride in town supply interferes with the bodies iodine pathways and negatively impacts good bacteria in the body. Filters can remove chlorine, mineralise water, and more. Examples we suggest; Alka Jug from Ionza and Water Co. Check out your local stores for on the bench options and tap filters. Don't be afraid to ask the store questions to find the best filter for you!
- *Cacao is a great superfood! Not only does it satisfy those chocolate cravings, cacao is a powerhouse of antioxidants and minerals, especially magnesium and iron. Great for energy, mood, stress, heart health and more! Difference to Cocoa? Cacao is less refined, richer and more nutritious as it is raw.
- *Dark Leafy Greens - Nutrient power houses. Loaded with protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.
- *Pomegranates - High in vitamin B and C, high in antioxidants reducing free radical damage, a source of healthy fatty acids with anti-inflammatory properties. Known for heart and anti-cancer benefits.