Plastic isn’t awesome. Neither is buying stuff over and over again. Both things are costly to our planet and our pockets, so at Cali Low Waste Beauty we’ve said goodbye to plastic razors and hello to low waste shaves with our new Safety Razors!
It’s estimated that over 2 billion plastic razors and plastic refill blades are thrown into landfill every year - yup more than 2 BILLION! This is a whole lot of plastic that is actually really avoidable just by making a small, easy change to your bathroom routine. Low waste living here we come!
We weren’t about to suggest you quit shaving altogether and go for the ‘oh natural’ look (though rock those beards and legs if that’s for you!). Instead, we came up with low waste Safety Razors in both Luxe Copper and Classic Stainless. These eco chic designs will last you decades.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a dude who loves an irritation free shave or a chick who enjoys a luxurious beauty regime, low waste shaving with our Stainless Razors is for everyone. All you need to do is replace the Razor Blades and recycle them through our blade take-back program (details below), and you’re one step closer to a plastic-free life.
How to shave with your safety razor - Don’t fret, it’s easy!
Shaving with a safety razor is slightly different to using a plastic razor, in the best way possible. Safety razors are built for longevity and have a different design, so they provide a closer shave and are easy to use.
Here are a few helpful tips to understand before you begin your first plastic free shave.
- Glide the razor lightly over your skin. DO NOT PRESS. A safety razor is designed differently to a plastic disposable razor - it does the hard work for you!
- Bikini areas and underarms are fine to use with these razors, make sure you are gentle and light while keeping skin taut.
- Keep the razor on a flat angle to your skin for safety.
- When travelling, wrap a small sock around the head of your shaver to save your hands when rummaging and to protect the other products in your bag.
- Store in a dry place for longevity.
- Your razor will not rust, but after being wet for some time, the blades may. If they do, simply give them a generous rub with a towel or emery cloth.
- When your blade is blunt, simply unscrew the head of the razor from the handle, place the new blade between the two top plates (holding by the blunt edges) and screw the handle back on.
- Have a specific question? Check out our FAQs on the product page first otherwise you can message us directly HERE on instagram and we will do our best to help.
Okay so you’re almost ready...
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to use a Safety Razor.
Pretty similar to what you have already experienced with the plastic ones - just keep the above tips in mind and you’ll be fine.
- Wet your skin and lather with soap
- Wet your razor
- Lightly drag your razor over your skin; rinse the razor after 1-3 strokes
- Add more soap or water to your skin as needed
- Rinse your skin with water so no hair or soap is left
- Dry your skin with a towel
- High-five yourself on a plastic free shave!
How about the Blades? What do I do with them when they are Blunt?
Like we said, your Razor should last decades, but your Blades need to be replaced when they’re blunt. This will be after 5 shaves on average but it really depends on how thick your hair is. If you’re a guy with thick facial hair you will go through more blades quickly. If you are shaving thin leg hair then you won’t need to swap them out as often. You can see the Refill Blade Pack here - you get 20 Blades which can be used on both edges for $8.50 (around 43 cents per blade).
Once you’re done with a Razor Blade they actually can’t go into the regular curb-side recycling. Their small size makes sorting difficult and not-viable at low quantities and their sharp edges are a hazard.
So where do the blunt blades end up? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back… we’ll take them back! Here’s the plan:
Cali Blade Take-Back Program
- USE your blades until they are no longer sharp enough to complete a good shave.
- CLEAN the blade and DRY it.
- POST the blades back to Cali Low Waste Beauty HQ. Once you have 40+ blunt blades to return, pop them into the supplied envelope, seal and wrap them into another (so the postie’s hands are safe). Stay tuned for New Zealand wide drop off locations too.
- REPURPOSE is our responsibility. Bundling all your blades together will mean there will be enough to feasibly recycle, and we have some ideas for how to reuse the material too.
So, will it be the Luxe Copper Razor or the Classic Stainless? This will be the last razor you'll ever buy, so choose well, enjoy the 5 refill blades that come with each razor, and stock up with a 20 pack of Refill Blades to save on shipping.
The planet is ready for a bit of your love - and this way there might be a little less than 2 Billion Razors in the landfill next year huh?!
- The Truth About that 'Compostable' Coffee Cup
- 5 Easy Swaps for 2019
- 7 Things You Had No Idea Contained Plastic
- The Ultimate Waste Guide
Other products you might find interesting...