Black Friday is the biggest shopping day of the year and we could make heaps of sales and you could get a bunch of stuff... BUT WE ARE BOYCOTTING BLACK FRIDAY(...again)!
All the craziness that comes with Black Friday is not good for either people or the planet. In a bid to create awareness AND give back, 100% of profits from online orders will be donated to Sea Shepherd NZ
1. needless buying sucks!
A lot of the time we buy things because we want them, not because we truely need them. Black Friday is about the irresistible deals, the quick buys. This weekend is fever-pitch and it makes you feel like you HAVE to buy because it's so cheap! Less is more and quality over quantity urgently needs to be adopted for a more sustainable future.
2. we are making a stand against hyper-consumerism
Boycotting is making a stand! We hope that this action gets people to think about their other purchases before quickly clicking the 'Buy Now button'. It also sets a benchmark for other brands, showing that we can easily do things differently and have an impact. Everyone buying CaliWoods on those days not only reduce their single-use consumption but their purchase doubles in impact by contributing to Sea Shepherd New Zealand.
3. all the 'stuff' in the world is a huge strain on resources and source of waste
We are going to say it. We can't keep blaming the neighbours dog, your younger sibling, or huge companies for causing environmental impacts. It's ALL of us! We are living in the 'more is more' era and we are paying the price. According to Norwegian University of Science and Technology, house hold consumption is responsible for 60-80% of environmental damage, and 20% of all carbon footprints. Being more conscious of the items we buy is a really easy fix.
ask These 5 Questions Before You Buy...
1. Do I really need this? - including CaliWoods!
2. Will I use it regularly? - is there a tool or item that you have been thinking about for a while? If you know it will be loved for years then you can use Black Friday as a way to support brands doing awesome stuff - we boycott to get people and brands to think twice.
3. Is there a more sustainable alternative? - we like the plastic bottle / can analogy. You can buy Juice in a can which can be infinitely recycled or choose the plastic bottle - only 9% of plastic ever made have been recycled. One is for sure the better choice.
4. What will happen to this product at the end of its life? - companies now are starting to take responsibility for their products well past the purchase date. We hope that this will become standard practise, and part of legislation, very soon. Check out what we have done with the Cali Safety Razors to give you some sort of idea of what this looks like.
5. Can I dispose of it responsibly? - is there a system that will take the product back or is it made from easily reused materials?
Our Ultimate Message...
✔️Use Black Friday wisely. Plan and think through your purchases fully before committing. If it's not something that has been on the list for at least a few weeks, chances are you don't need it.
✔️Don't get suckered in to an irresistible deal. We can all stop waste before it starts by just buying less.
✔️Vivian Westwood, the British fashion icon, has never spoken truer words with her famous quote: "Buy Less. Choose Well. Make It Last"
You can support our oceans this weekend by shopping HERE. All purchases from Friday 27th November are valid.
- Tags: Sustainable Holidays