Plastic isn’t awesome. Neither is buying stuff over and over again. Both things are costly to our planet and our pockets, so at Cali Low Waste Beauty we’ve said goodbye to plastic razors and hello to low waste shaves with our new Safety Razors!
It’s estimated that over 2 billion plastic razors and plastic refill blades are thrown into landfill every year - yup more than 2 BILLION! This is a whole lot of plastic that is actually really avoidable just by making a small, easy change to your bathroom routine. Low waste living here we come!
We weren’t about to suggest you quit shaving altogether and go for the ‘oh natural’ look (though rock those beards and legs if that’s for you!). Instead, we came up with low waste Safety Razors in both Luxe Copper and Classic Stainless. These eco chic designs will last you decades when properly cared for.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a dude who loves an irritation free shave or a chick who enjoys a luxurious beauty regime, low waste shaving with our Stainless Safety Razors is for everyone. All you need to do is replace the blades with a Refill Pack, recycle them through our blade take-back program (details below) and you’re one step closer to a low-waste life.
How to shave with your safety razor - Don’t fret, it’s easy!
Shaving with a safety razor is slightly different to using a plastic razor, in the best way possible. Safety razors are built for longevity and have a different design, so they provide a closer shave and are easy to use.
Here are a few helpful tips to understand before you begin your first plastic free shave.
- Glide the razor lightly over your skin. DO NOT PRESS. A safety razor is designed differently to a plastic disposable razor - it does the hard work for you!
- Bikini areas and underarms are fine to use with these razors, make sure you are gentle and light while keeping skin taut.
- Keep the razor on a flat angle to your skin for safety.
- When travelling, grab yourself a CaliWoods Safety Razor Travel Bag or wrap a sock around the head of your shaver. This will save your hands when rummaging and protects the other products in your bag.
- Store in a dry place for longevity. Do not keep in the shower between Shaves. Don't drop your Razor!
- Your razor will not rust, but after being wet for some time, the blades may. If they do, simply give them a generous rub with a towel or emery cloth.
- When your blade is blunt, simply unscrew the head of the razor from the handle, place the new blade between the two top plates (holding by the blunt edges) and screw the handle back on.
- Have a specific question? Check out our FAQs on the product page first otherwise you can message us directly HERE on instagram and we will do our best to help.
Okay so you’re almost ready...
Step-by-step instructions on how to use a Cali Safety Razor.
Pretty similar to what you have already experienced with the plastic ones - just keep the above tips in mind and you’ll be fine.
- Place the blade in between the 2 top holding plates and then screw the handle in. You can see this demonstrated on the video below.
- Wet your skin and lather with soap
- Wet your razor
- Lightly drag your razor over your skin; rinse the razor after 1-3 strokes
- Add more soap or water to your skin as needed
- Rinse your skin with water so no hair or soap is left
- Dry your skin with a towel
- High-five yourself on a plastic free shave!
If you want to watch the summary video it explains the whole process well with images so you can clearly see.
Video instructions on how to use a Cali Safety Razor.
How To Recycle Used Safety Razor Blades in New Zealand
We have the Cali Blade Take Back Program! If properly cared for, your Razor should last decades but your Blades need to be replaced when they’re blunt. This will be after 5-15 shaves on average depending on how thick your hair is. If you’re a guy with thick facial hair you will go through more blades quickly. If you are shaving thin leg hair then you won’t need to swap them out as often.
If you see any rust on your blade from residual water, make sure you either buff it out before using or switch the blade for a new one. You can see the Refill Blade Pack here - you get 20 Blades which can be used on both edges for $8.50 (around 43 cents per blade).
Once you’re done with a Razor Blade they actually cannot go into the regular curb-side recycling. Their small size makes sorting difficult and not-viable at low quantities and their sharp edges are a hazard.
So where do the blunt blades end up? Don’t worry, we’ve got your back… we’ll take them back! Here’s the plan:
How To Recycle/Repurpose Your Blades:
- USE your blades until they are no longer sharp enough to complete a good shave.
- CLEAN the blade and DRY it.
- POST the blades back to Cali Low Waste Beauty HQ. Once you have 40+ blunt blades to return, pop them into the supplied envelope, seal and wrap them into another (so the postie’s hands are safe). Click here for the return address or see if there is a collection point near you.
- REPURPOSE is our responsibility. Bundling all your blades together will mean there will be enough to feasibly recycle, and we have some ideas for how to reuse the material too.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I use the Safety Razor for underarms and bikini area?
Yes! Safe for the bikini areas of all genders. See our 'How To Low-Waste Shave' Blog HERE for more details.
The key of these areas is to use gentle pressure and pair with shaving soap. Go slow here with short strokes. Hold skin taut with your free hand. Starting with a larger area of your body first will give you the confidence to move into the Bikini area in no time.
I'm nervous about using one. How do they work?
Our Safety Razor works like a plastic one - but better! You only replace the blades. You can check out customer reviews at the bottom of this page.
If you want full step-by-step instructions for sure check out the blog post and watch the video. This way you'll be ready to shave when your stunning Cali Safety Razor arrives.
How safe are they? Will it cut me?
A Safety Razors will not cut you if you use proper technique.
Please note that you don't need to push the razor onto skin like you do with a plastic one, simply let the weight of the Razor do the job with a light drag along the skin.
How do I replace the blade?
Unscrew the head of the razor from the handle, place a blade between the two top plates, holding by the blunt edges (the short edge, the blade is on the long-edge). Screw the handle back on and shave away!
How often do I replace the blade?
This is very hair type dependant! On average this is 5 to 15 shaves.
For thick facial hair you will switch out the blade every 5 or so shaves. For fine leg hair or underarms one blade can last 15+ shaves. At 43 cents per blade, you'll really notice the difference in cost and no more chucking cartridges in the bin - win!
Pro tip: If you don't shave often, remove the blade from the holding plates and dry between uses. This way your blade will last even longer. Do not keep your Razor in the shower.
Is it as good as a plastic razor?
Better! A Cali Safety Razor has a very close, smooth shave. Customers often comment on how smooth they are feeling (see reviews below).
Are the Safety Razors good for all genders?
Yes! They are great for everyone.
How do I travel safely with my razor?
You can get yourself a Cali Linen Razor Bag to protect the blade and your safety.
Will my Safety Razor rust?
The Holding Plates and Handle of the Razor will not rust. The blades may rust after a time given if stored wet. When this happens simply give any rust a generous rub with a towel/emery cloth or replace the blade. We recommend you dry your razor after each use.
Why should I make the switch?
Say hello to awesome, low waste shaves and goodbye to all those plastic razors and refill heads. You will be reducing your waste and saving money - all you need to replace is the blade!
Can I use regular soap?
Yes, there will be enough suds to make it work well. For the face some people might prefer a thicker shaving cream. We recommend that you rinse the shaver well after each use to remove all the soap residue.
How many blades does each razor come with?
You get 5 blades with each Razor just to get you started. We recommend buying a Razor Blade Refill Pack at the same time your order your Razor so you won't run out of razor blades quickly, maximise on shipping and reduce shipping packaging and courier carbon miles.
Are there any tips and tricks so I master these low waste shaves faster?
Read up on the detailed instructions before you shave and watch the video. After a couple of shaves you will get the hang of it!
So, will it be the Copper, Silver or Slate? This will be the last razor you'll ever buy, so choose well, enjoy the 5 refill blades that come with each razor, and stock up with a 20 pack of Refill Blades to save on shipping.
The planet is ready for a bit of your love - and this way there might be a little less than 2 Billion Razors in the landfill next year huh?!
- The Truth About that 'Compostable' Coffee Cup
- 5 Easy Swaps for 2019
- 7 Things You Had No Idea Contained Plastic
- The Ultimate Waste Guide
Other products you might find interesting...